Today is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, and on Monday we will recognize his contribution to America.
Known for his amazing speeches and inspirational quotes, one is sticking out to us today.
“Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”
We love how he makes serving so simple, and in fact, it's similar to what our team teaches Boosterthon students through our "Plug in to Serve" character trait this year - put the needs of others before your own, in big or small ways, and at any age.
So in a continued spirit of serving, and as a reminder that anyone can serve, here are a few ways to get your family started:
1. Make goody bags for people in need. Be sure to include water, snacks, and toiletries. You can even personalize it by writing an encouraging note.
2. Volunteer your time. If you don’t have a charity in mind, take some time to discuss what matters to your family. The environment? Hunger? Education? Then research organizations and sign up to volunteer at your local chapter.
3. Participate in a 5K. Once you find an organization (or pick a new one), look for an upcoming charity walk/run. You’ll support a cause and enjoy family fitness all at the same time!
5. Write letters to soldiers overseas. Write an encouraging note to the men and women who serve our country. Organizations such as Adopt a US Soldier can help connect you to a soldier.
6. Visit a Nursing Home. Decorate a card or draw a picture, and visit a local nursing home. Share your smile and happiness to elderly men and women.
By serving others, we have the power to change the world!
More inspirational quotes by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.:
- “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, What are you doing for others?"
- "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
- "If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way"